Thursday, January 17, 2013

Label Reading

I have become accustomed to label reading the past month as I live a dairy free diet to help Preston (at least I hope). But today I failed! As I was eating a pasta salad- more specific a "Broccoli Slaw" from the grocery store, I just so happened to glance at the ingredient list as I was putting it away- mind you I already ate my portion for lunch. And it contains milk ingredients! Who would have thought! I am very good about reading labels on crackers, breads, cereals, frozen foods, etc. but I would have never thought a broccoli salad from the deli would have milk ingredients in it. Well, I guess we will see how Preston does today and tomorrow and I can see if it affects him at all.

Reese has been a little pistol lately :) She is definitely at the "limit testing" stage and boy does she test. I think she knows exactly what buttons to push of mine, and she likes to push them on a daily basis. I say go, Reese says stop. I say yes, Reese says no. This past Sunday I thought it would be a fun family outing for us all to get to go grocery shopping together. Usually I do it during the week when the crowds are smaller, that way I can manage both kids by my self. But with Kyle in tow, I thought I would actually get to enjoy this experience and really do some "quality" grocery shopping (instead of throwing things in the cart quickly and "running" up the aisles to keep up with Reese.) We headed to Janesville to go to Woodman's for the first time. For those of you unfamiliar with Woodmans, it is a giant grocery store- like a Costco or Sams Club. Except you need no membership here, and alot of the produce is locally grown. We arrived to a PACKED store. It was like Disney World! I assigned Kyle to Reese as Preston was in the cart with me. Let me just say, the experience was far from enjoyable. I saw many kids Reese's age walking by their parents, helping them choose groceries, and having fun with it. Not us. We looked like the crazy family who everyone stares at I'm sure. Reese was bolting up and down the aisles and screaming when we threatened to carry her. "Fake" tears flowing and all. I could barely concentrate on what I needed, let alone try to get everything I had on my mental checklist (that shot out the door when we walked in.) So, note to self- never try a new grocery store (especially a HUGE one) for the first time on a Sunday with two little kids (more so if one of them is strong willed and not the greatest listener), and always remember the grocery list. My enjoyable Sunday morning turned into a disaster. This coming Sunday I will be grocery shopping alone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment