Wednesday, January 2, 2013

4 mo appt

We had Preston's 4 mo appt this morning, and I left with a feelings of frustrations and being "under-whelemed." I was hoping for the "magic answer" today as to why he spits up SO much, and why he is waking every 1 1/2 hours through the night. Well, there was no "magic answer" (I think I had my hopes set too high.) First things first, his stats:
Weight: 15 lbs. 15 oz (49%tile)
Height: 26.5 in (87%tile)
Head Circumference: 42.2 (56%tile)
So, above average for height and right in the middle for weight. Nothing unexpected there.

Then we began the continuing discussion of his "GI issues". Since having been dairy free since Dec. 15th, and not really seeing much change (even though his diapers seem to be better) Dr. said I don't have to stick to dairy free diet if I don't want too. I am just not quite convinced that is still not an issue, so I am going to continue until I am done breastfeeding. I just don't feel as though we know entirely yet if he does has a dairy sensitivity. So we moved on to his issues of waking in the night, and may contribute it to gas as he cannot get comfortable enough to sleep. He prescribed two medications I am to try with him to see if it helps give him so relief with gas, thus letting him get a better nights sleep. I am to try them for 10 days, and if we see no improvement, we will be referred to a GI doctor. I also asked if it was possible that he was allergic to something else I may be eating (fish, nuts, eggs) but he said there is almost no evidence that any of these foods that pass through breastmilk trigger allergies in children. So, me eating them would not affect him. The two major causes of gas and fussiness in breastfed babies are caffeine (already cut out of my diet) and dairy (cut out as well.)

So, with that, I left the office feeling frustrated that again. I am to try two more medicines and see if they work. I really do not want to medicate him, but if it is going to help, I suppose it worth a shot! I will be giving him liquid lactase (an enzyme that helps people to digest proteins better) and the second medication is a probiotic. These issues are to target his gassiness, which is what the doctor wanted to concentrate on first before addressing the reflux (in hopes that would in turn help the reflux as well.) His diapers are imrpoving, leading me to think that dairy does have some affect on him, so hopefully with a dairy free diet and these medications, we can get it under control!

No comments:

Post a Comment