Wednesday, November 28, 2012

It happened...

If you read my last blog post yesterday, you are aware that I began fully sleep training little Preston and had some success yesterday with naps, but was leery with bedtime. I even made the comment "it cant get much worse than already waking up every hour and a half, right?" Well, it did. I must have jinxed myself. He did GREAT with the first few hours of sleep. I put him down at 8:30, he cried for 10 or so minutes, fell asleep for 25 minutes, awoke crying, and I was able to go in one time and he went back to sleep until 11:45 p.m. AWESOME! I was so excited and had high expectations for the rest of the night. Well that was shot out the door. He awoke crying again at 12:30- having been fed at 11:45 I knew it wasn't due to hunger. So I went in after 5 minutes and he fell asleep again, until 1:00. Again, same pattern, cried for 5 minutes, I went in, and he fell asleep again, until 1:45. This pattern continued on until 3:15 am. He would wake up every 35-40  minutes crying, I would let him cry it out for 5-7 minutes, I would go in and pat his back for a minute or two, he would go to sleep, only to wake again 35-40 minutes later. With exhaustion setting in around 3:30 (since I really had not been back asleep since 11:45) I threw the towel in and put him in his swing (where he slept until 7:40- waking only once to eat). Even though I "failed" at getting him to sleep the whole night in there, I pat myself on the back for making it as long as I could.
Naps again today are going fine. He took his morning nap at story hour at the library, and went down for another nap around 12:30. He only cried for about 5 minutes before falling asleep, and awoke about 25 minutes later, crying. Instead of going in, I let him cry for a good 5-7 minutes again in hopes he would go back to sleep (and not wake his sister in the room next door!) and both were accomplished. He has now been asleep in his crib for over an hour, and Reese is sleeping soundly too.  Lets hope and pray tonight goes a tad better, or I may be living off coffee tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment