Friday, July 30, 2010

Things you learn...

Exactly one week ago at this time I was sitting in my hospital room watching an episode of Dateline waiting for "real" labor to begin. Where does this time go?!?!?! How did this past week fly by so fast? Maybe sleep deprivation? Who knows, but I do know that this past week has by far been the fastest of my life. I have no idea where the time has gone, let alone what day it is :)

Reese is adjusting well to life in our house. She sleeps alot, as babies with jaundice do. It is not such a bad thing, because mommy can catch a nap then too :) She is eating every 2-3 hours and usually falls asleep right after eating. We had her blood drawn again today to check her Bili levels, and she is down to a 14!!! YAY! The doctor said she needs to be on her bili blanket for one more day, and then we can take it off of her. I am so excited to get to cuddle with her without that blanket attached!

I have been thinking about this past week, and comparing it to what I thought motherhood might be like. Here are my conclusions:

-Never have a goal or expectation for the day. I'm lucky if I get a shower by 10:00 p.m.

-Breastfeeding is much harder than anticipated. No one ever tells you how difficult it might be. We had latching on problems at the beginning, which was very frustrating for Reese and I, but things are going much better now, and she is eating for 20-30 minutes.

-Nap when she does as much as possible. When she is awake, so am I, including from 2-4 in the morning like last night!

-Don't worry about the small things. The dishes and laundry will get done at some point, just maybe not today.

-It is wise not to have a plan, because Reese runs the show. Things are now on what we call the "Reese Clock". Our time is determined by her wants/needs.

-You go through ALOT of diapers/wipes. I anticipated going through a fair amount, just not as many as we are!

-I did not expect the baby weight to come off as fast as it is. I am not complaining in any sense, I feel pretty lucky! I have already lost 20 of the 30 lbs I gained during pregnancy. But I am sure the last 10 are the hardest to lose, atleast that is what other mom's have told me.

In any sense, we love our little baby girl and can't imagine our lives without her :)

No comments:

Post a Comment