Saturday, November 22, 2014

Hearts at Home

This past Friday I had MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers), which meets 2 Fridays a month. It is held at a church in Fishers from 9:30-11:30, and we have about 70 members (moms). Childcare is provided through  a small due we pay each year. MOPS has become a big blessing in my life. When we first moved to Indiana, and I knew no one. We lived in a 2 bedroom apartment for 4 months in Greenfield (about 30 minutes south of Fishers) and those were 4 hard months. When we moved to Fishers, I felt alnoe and needed deperatly to make some friends who I could relate to, ask questions about, and help me navigate this new town. Luckily, 2 months after we moved in, a lady at my church told me about MOPS. I got online right away and registered to join. It has been one of the best decisions I made upon moving here. The ladies I have met have become close friends and people to support me. Whenever I had questions (where is the best pizza? which it the best place for gymnastics? where do i get my haircut?) they were/are always there to help me out. I have met a stong group of supportive and positive women who have helped me navigate life out here as a stay at home mom with no family around. They are a blessing!
This past Friday, we had a well known speaker come to our group. Her name is Jill Savage. Years ago, as a stay at home mom, she held a conference at her local church in Bloomington IL to help stay at home moms feel supported and connected. Now, years later, the conference is National and more than 10,000 moms attended each year. Her mission is called "Hearts at Home" and though I had never heard of it before, I am sure glad I have now. Hearts at Home's mission is to
"encourage, educate, and equip every mom in every season of motherhood using Christian values to strengthen families."
Yesterday, she spoke to us about the ABC's of a healthy marriage- stating you are only as good of a mother as you are a wife.She also spoke of how your child is keenly aware of your marriage, and a safe and happy marriage means safe and happy kids.  She was very informative, relatable, and humorous. She has published many books, two of which I purchased yesterday. If you are a mom, I highly encourage you to visit her website heartsathome.org. It is a great organization that supports moms, encourages them, and does so with a Christian foundation. I plan to attend the national conference next March in Bloomington, IL- they also have one next November in Rocester, MN.  Its a 1 day seminar where you can pick from 30 different sessions based on your season of life (she has topics from birth to raising/connecting with adult children). Any mom can go and its only $95. Well worth it!

So, that is a brief overview of our speaker yesterday. I thought she was fantastic, and I love the focus of the mission she has created. Most people don't quite understand what it takes to be a stay at home mom, and this support group is much needed for people like me!

Here are just a few of her books: 

    


No comments:

Post a Comment