Sunday, March 3, 2013

Brandywine

Today Reese and I ventured out to attend Brandywine Community Church-not far from our townhouse. I didn't know much about the church- other than it was where my MOPS group was held on Friday. Service was at 9:30- right during Preston's nap, so Kyle stayed home with him and Reese and I were off. I knew the church was "Inter denominational", but what that really meant, I didn't have a clue.
I was a little leary of the service as I am more "traditional"in the sense that I like a church to "look like" a church- instead of a huge building. And I also like pews, not an auditorium. This church is in fact in a big (very nice) building, and is auditorium style. I wasn't sure what to expect out of the service, so I dropped Reese off in the two year old room, and made my way to the auditorium. Hundreds of seats in a gigantic room, with three big screen monitors in the front, with a stage, and a band set up. Hmm, not really my style, but I thought I would stay and give it a go. The seats filled quickly, and service began, with the band (violin, drums, singers, guitars) playing contemporary music and signing Christian music. It was true "southern" gospel as people stand, clap, and wave their arms in the air. Again, not my style, and I felt a bit out of place. The service was quite different. Instead of focusing on scriptures and the "word of God" it focused more on just having faith and becoming one with The Lord. No hymnals to sing out of or bulletins to follow along with, all was projected on to the big screens and you were to sing along with the songs posted on them. It was all very contemporary, modern Christian music (something you would hear on Christian radio), again- not really my style. I guess I never realized how "traditional" I was in the sense of how I like my church service to be. When I go to church, I want to feel like I am in a church, signing out of a hymnal, following along with readings of scripture, and listening to a sermon. Those were not accomplished today. Another interesting thing was that kids are sort of "required" to go to their respective aged rooms- and aren't really "allowed" in the auditorium during service. They don't really say it like that, but in the handout when you walk in, it clearly states for children to be dropped off before service begins. Reese enjoys church, and even though she may be a little "loud" at times, I still want her to be able to be in the service if she so chooses (instead of in the play room.)
I am glad I went, as I have never experienced a service like this before, but I don't think I will be going back. Luckily, you don't have to be a member of the church to attend MOPS, as it is open to everyone in the community.
Time to get on Google and locate a church in the area (preferably Lutheran) where I will feel a bit more "at home." Clearly the Interdenomintional church just isn't for me.

In house hunting news, we looked at 6 houses yesterday. One was a possibility, but it didn't have a basement. We really like the house, location, yard, etc. so we have to discuss it a bit more. We are also going to look at another house this evening that we originally liked, but was taken off the market. Well, it came back on two days ago, so we jumped on setting up a showing. Hopefully we like it as much as we do in the pictures!


1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the whole traditional church thing. I feel exactly the same way!

    ReplyDelete