Monday, January 5, 2015

These are a few of my favorite things...

(Sung in the Sound of Music voice) :) With Christmas and New Years past us, the holiday blues have set in as we are all deflated by the passing of yet another holiday season. A realization that I spent too much money, drank to many cocktails, and ate way to much food. My spirit has deflated- but my waistline has not :) More on that to come.
I figured to lift my spirits during this dreary weather (I swear we haven't seen the sun in almost a month), I wanted to do a positive post and post some of my current favorite things. So, here it goes.

My Favorite Things (at this moment)

1. Cookies from Taylor's Bakery.
I picked these up on New Years Eve so the kids could have a special treat on New Years Day. Taylor's Bakery is very well known in Indy- and it located in Fishers only about 10 minutes from our house. We got Reese's cake there for her 3rd birthday, and it was delicious.

2. Moscow Mule- my current favorite alcoholic drink.
First, they are served in cool copper mugs which keep them EXTRA cold. Pretty simple to make. Its vodka, ginger beer, and a slice of lime. We had them at Friendsgiving, and they were delicious.


3. The best dish towel EVER- Shaggies.
I've never cared much about dish towels/cloths....until now. These are amazing and will transform the way you do dishes. Haha, ok so that might have been a bit much. BUT, they are pretty awesome. The are so thick and get softer with each wash- I just LOVE them, My mother in law requested some for Christmas, so when I got her some, I picked up two for myself- and I'm addicted. They come in various colors and three sizes (small rags, regular cloths, and dish towels). They are a bit more expensive (I think this regular cloth was $2.19) they are worth it. The only place, besides online, that I have been able to find them is at The Red Barn in Lena, IL> that's where I got mine. Try them- you won't regret it!!


4. Little Tykes Trampoline
Best present Santa brought- goes to the trampoline. Amen for this thing on these cold days when we are stuck inside. It saved my sanity a couple of times today.

5. Sharp Objects.
If you have read Gone Girl by Gilligan Flynn, you will like this book by her. A bit disturbing-  but a great fiction read. I read it in two days!



6. Visits from family
Beyond immediate family, this is the first time a cousin of ours has visited us in Indy. It was so great to have my cousin Elyse, her husband Pete, and their son Bennett hang out with us last Saturday afternoon and then out for dinner at a GREAT BBQ place Saturday night. I enjoyed spending time with them- as did the kids. When we said our prayers before bed that night, Reese said she was thankful "she got to hold baby Bennett." 



So those are a few of my favorite things. I hope you enjoyed them! Back to the more depressing news, my non-deflated waistline - haha. Back in the gym this week to work off those extra holiday pounds and realize how hard it is to get back into it after you take an entire week off! Ugh- 3 miles on the treadmill felt like 6! One step at a time I guess. 3 is better than none!


As I close the blog today, I want to take a minute and ask my readers to take a second a say a prayer for a great friend of mine back in Madison and her husband, as she lost her mom New Years Eve to a 19 month battle with cancer. Her mom was only 59, and fought a courageous battle. Please say prayers to support them during this time, as they are expecting their first child, a son, in April. Leslie and Ryan- you are in our thoughts and prayers.




No comments:

Post a Comment