Saturday, September 20, 2014

Running??

Alright, first, happy weekend! I hope everyone is out enjoying this gorgeous weather we are having (at least here in Indy) high 70's, light breeze, and a lot of sunshine. Perfect! I've been thinking about posting about my running adventure for quite some time, and thought now was a good time to do it. On January 1st, I made a commitment to myself to run at least 4 days a week every week. No set timeline, no set mile goal, no set time on miles. Let's just start out by saying this, I.am.not.a.born.runner. I do not like to run. I have never liked to run. It just isn't in my make-up. Running is not something I would do to "blow off some steam" to "de-stress" or "for fun". Nope, not my cup of tea. But, I knew I needed to start doing something more active in the winter, and I challenged myself to take up this thing people like called "running". Ok, well it sounds easier to say you want to do it than to actually do it. At the beginning, I was barely running for 5 minutes straight. I was huffing, puffing, and not enjoying it. Once I finally was able to run a whole mile without stopping (around a 10 min 30 sec minute mile), I decided this whole running thing might not be so bad. Each week, I continued to run for a little bit longer, and upping my speed on the treadmill bit by bit. I dreaded going to the gym, but once my run was finished, I felt so much better and was glad I did it. Now, 9 months later, I am still running at least 4 times a week, and finally reached my goal last month of running 3 straight miles with no stops (just last week I did 3.1 mi!). Granted, I did it in 30 minutes meaning 10 minute miles (not so great) but I did it. Not only has my endurance gotten better, but I actually am now enjoying going for a run. That whole "blow off steam" thing really works :) If you had asked me a year ago if I would consider running a 5K, I would have called you crazy, but now, it's on my list of things to do. I would like to get my speed a bit faster before I do one, so maybe next Spring I'll try. It also helped me shed 12 lbs since January 1st. That stinking baby weight from Preston that was lingering on a year later- now is coming off, finally- combined of course with better eating habits.  So, there ya have it- I still wouldn't call myself a "runner" but a "runner in progress" more like it.
On to other news, I have also been thinking a lot lately just how much Preston is growing and changing each day developmentally. It is just so crazy when you stop and think that now this little 2 year old body can react, negotiate, and try to have opinions on everything that goes on during his day! Logically thinking is now starting to take place, and little things he says everyday prove that to me. Here are a few instances:
-Concept of weather: if we go outside and the breeze is a bit chilly he will say "brr...cold"
-Concept of "me"- he understands what is "mine" and what is "others" (for instance, he will get me my shoes and say "mommy's" or will get Reese her blanket and say "sissy's"
-Concept of prepositions- he has mastered the word and recognition of "under" if something falls under the table, he will sure let you know it is "under"
-Concept of schedule- I feel as though he is now grasping the schedule of the day, for instance upon waking up he says "eat" (breakfast) and then when he is done he says "play" knowing we play for a bit while I clean up
-Concept of safety- Ok, I know some of you that know Preston well may be laughing at this one. I was when I typed it :) I mean that he is aware of things that may be dangerous (this does not mean he will not attempt the dangerous act!) For instance, he will stay "stove....hot" or "coffee....hot"

That was just a few things I have been noticing lately, amazed by how his little mind is growing and concepts are new each and everyday.

Reese has been a busy little bee at Pre-K. Her teachers really have them focusing on cutting with scissors right now (trying to stay on the lines) and writing there names. Reese can write her name, but they are working on perfecting it (making the letters correctly and making them in the correct order.) She is doing well and loves her new class and new teacher. She goes Mon, Tue, and Thursday for a few hours each day and looks forward to it when she goes. We have her class field trip to an apple orchard and pumpkin patch on Monday so I am looking forward to meeting all her little friends!

Here are a few pics I have taken recently:

We took Izzy with us this morning to the drive thru at Starbucks, and she got her own "pup cup" of whip cream :)

A quick pic I snapped before school

They are building a roundabout behind our house, so Preston stands (or would stand) for hours on end watching all the diggers everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment